Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cranberries.

(Now that I have figured out how to post from my phone...and yes we have a computer but it hardly runs as it is bogged down with many many photos.)
Most years picking cranberries is on my fall to do list but the past few years I have either been too pregnant or the weather hasn't made it worthwhile.  Or the turkeys and bears got to them before I could. Or. Or. Or.  This year was the year though.  Perfectly wet throughout the season and a babe on my back (or in the bog!-the very very shallow yet wet still, bog) rather than in my uterus.   All in all it made it so I could trek through the woods, down the 4-wheeler roads, and up and into the bogs.  My neighbor who didn't mind that he was picking with a mama and three young boys.  My boys who didn't mind working a bit to pick a tart, unsnackable (to some) berry.  Me, I didn't mind sitting in several inched of water to gather and gather. There are three abandoned bogs now on state land back in off a dead end road and a quick trespass on friendly land!  We picked about 14 pounds in 1 1/2 hours!  Pretty excited to have another something to add to the freezer this year! 











1 comment:

  1. I've never picked wild cranberries but it looks like fun. When I lived on Cape Cod, there was a bog a block down from us. I wish I would have done some cranberry picking then!

    ReplyDelete