we boiled maple sap again this weekend, 70 gallons of it, and got a total of 13 pints which is great (7 of which were shared with the people who participated in the boil). we raised up the pit with another layer of cinder blocks to be able to stack more wood under the pan and rick thinks that it helped a lot. all in all the boil lasted from 7 until 3.
today we finally got around to starting the onions, scallions, celeriac and artichokes the latter of the group being a first time and experiment. we ended up starting them inside since both boys are sick and nahum was asleep during the preparations. although it is like he knew because just as we were starting he came downstairs asking to help! since we only have five flats right now we germinate them in the boys room (since no one sleeps in there) because we can close the door and turn up the heat for just that room and this will be more economical then firing up the entire greenhouse this early for just five flats. rick is finishing up our organic re-cert and tomorrow we will send it in along with a check to a beekeeper for some of our very own bees. so it looks busy already and we haven't even started...i hope it is a good growing season!