Monday, January 4, 2010

one small change: all local sundays

a couple of weeks ago, suzy at hip mountain mama, put up a blog post about families making small changes which will then grow to create bigger changes and no matter how small of a change you make it is a great start to helping our world heal.   Please take a detour over to her blog for the entire scoop and details on participating in this wonderful project.  She and her family are very dedicated to the environment, sustainability, and community.  well, several months ago i had big plans to sit and talk with rick about the changes we could make in our family.  well, a couple of weeks ago we were busy with other preparations (holiday and birthday).  and tonight while checking out some of my other favorite blogs i found their changes posted...oh, right...uh, hey rick...remember when i...and well we decided to work on food (in a perfect world where money wasn't ever an issue we would eat only the best but such isn't life these days...i also find that whenever we have any extra money i immediately head to a natural food store and buy what i haven't splurged on in so many months...but, i digress...).  we grow so much of our own food.  so much.  and when we both read kingsolver's book animal, vegetable, miracle way back:), we talked about eating locally too.  except for someone in the family has an addiction to chocolate and another to coffee and i love using olive oil and cinnamon and ... you get the point.  well...here is our chance.  our first step in one small change will to eat locally on sundays.  i mean locally.  local grain/flour/salt/butter (maybe i will make my own-a dream i have for my family someday anyway).  local everything.  one day.  most of our daily meals are made from our own food but we always use extras as well.  and to add in other flavors i will search local harvest, farmers markets, and eat maine foods.  this is a goal of our families that we are doing so much with already but i need to take it to the next level and that is why i chose this as our starting point.  but...there are lots of other great ideas out there...check out hip mountain mama's blog for a link to others involved with this project!!  good luck.  make a change!  here are some of our local offerings from a quick search this evening (most of it is our own...but not all!)  the bags of onions are from our garden but the taters are not (some of ours made it and we already ate them...!!).


 
 
 
 
 

14 comments:

  1. This is such a clever idea for a first change! I would love to eat local all the time as well, but it doesn't always happen! I think picking one day a week is a great idea!
    Thanks for joining!
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I think about taking it back to the hardcore basics too, like Ma and Pa. We are gluten free so we have learned to make everything from scratch, but like you said, there's the chocolate and the cereal, hempmilk...It would be so easy if there were a town and we all lived there and there were the local farms and orchards, the butcher, the baker, and the candlestick maker...it would be grand!

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Pennie! Your freezer looks great too, you guys put up quite a lot of good food. We eat mostly everything from our farm, but we buy big bags of grains and beans. Also butter and oil.....we have been talking seriously about getting a cow!
    I hope you and your sweet family are doing great!
    with love,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Pennie, so great! Super inspiring! I am going to read this to Jason later. He will love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's cool Pennie. I think your family, with your stocked freezer & larder should manage just fine! This is an area I struggle with because we are predominantly plant eaters. Plant eaters in Maine, where the ground is covered in snow and frost for half of the year, go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great plan, Pennie! Thank you so much for making me discover that Community of Change! I am excited to read what everybody is doing and motivated to jump in too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also think picking one day a week is clever--I participated in One Local Summer but need something year round to keep it going!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't comment without first saying I love what Earth Mama wrote about "ma and pa" hehe and yay for hempmilk... I really love where you took this, the food you have stored is an inspiration (yes, I hear you on the splurge thing at the healthfood store, I do the same!!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea -- I so enjoy reading your blog, Pennie! Very inspirational. I have your wedding present card on display -- it makes me smile just to look at it and remember that wonderful gift of a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this is our goal too. We are starting step by step and your idea of one day a week is a good one.
    Right now we are committing ourselves to buying all of our milk and yogurt right from the farm. (We were getting lazy at times), make our own butter and soft cheeses and yogurt this year from the jersey milk. I know we will always buy coffee and spices. Any suggestions for juice? I worry that everyone wouldn't be getting their daily C without a cup of OJ - all of our children are not great veggie eaters.
    Warm wishes,
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great Pennie! I am not that good at eating local. But I do make sure that I don't buy fruit from South America or ginger from China. I actually saw that the fresh ginger at Trader Joe's was from China! Eating local is a good goal for all families. I might try and use your idea for next month! I hope you're doing well. Thinking of you. Love, Kyndale
    http://earthycrunchy.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a very cool and not so small change, even if for just one day a week.

    I also read B. Kingsolver's book and was super inspired. We grow a lot of food, pick tons of local fruit in the fall, can and freeze a lot and my husband hunts, so we do okay, but there's a lot of room to improve.

    *I smiled at your freezer packages, recognizing the pen marks of little ones, which happens here too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a great change. I am loving these and am inspired by what I read. Thanks for sharing Pennie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh, i like this idea. this is my first time here, also! i am enjoying you so much!

    love. heather

    ReplyDelete