Saturday, August 29, 2009

on washing mohair...

we have two angora goats that we got to help mow the lawn and tame the roses and for some fiber for me to spin. we have had the goats for just over a year now and have sheered them twice. i was feeling quite disappointed with the way the washing had gone the first time and so have been putting off washing again...my fiber was so sticky and hardly as lovely as some i have felt at various fairs. it felt basically unusable. i finally got a second opinion from my sheep loving neighbor and another goat lover from the fiber frolic this past june. i washed up a small batch this week and i was practically calling everyone i knew with my excitement. my mohair is lovely. soft and fluffy and just lovely. now i must find the time to wash the rest of the spring shearing and re wash the falls. just in time for this years fall shearing, of course. here is how i washed the fiber.

*fill tub with warm water and add soda ash and dish soap. swirl to dissolve. add mohair in a net laundry sack.

*heat water to 165 degrees and turn off heat let cool off to 120-130 degrees. remove mohair drain water off. i did gently squeeze it but you can also spin it in your washing machine (i did not do this out of sheer laziness). dump nasty water into gardens or flower beds.

*fill tub with fresh water and heat to 120-130 degrees (the temp you left off). soak mohair again to rinse soda ash and soap and more dirt off. repeat this step again if need be at a lower temp for a second rinse. always put your fiber back in to the same temp water that you took it out at. rinse or soak for a bit then remove and gently squeeze or spin the laundry and all.

*let dry on old window screens outside if you can. mine only took overnight.

*love it. touch it. card it. spin it. yes. yes. (and now i will forever have my mohair washing instructions in case i forget what i did...)

8 comments:

  1. How wonderful Pennie!

    I'm about to wash an old half-knitted scarf made out of some sort of mohair and some wool to see how it felts. I've been washing a lot of wool lately. Not too much luck so far because I guess the content is not high enough...not quite the task you are doing, but....!!

    genny

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredibly exciting Pennie!!!
    I will certainly be book marking this for a time when I am able to do this too! You must feel such accomplishment just wait until you knit something with it! I am so in love with 'process' and am impressed with the process you have experienced. ahhhh... luxurious mohair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous! It makes me want goats :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful! I can't wait to have our own sheep & goats...someday (I'll be over here visiting you for some veteran advice I'm sure :-)

    Did you see the giveaway for the angora goats?? I thought of you right away when I read it:

    http://www.fiberfarm.com/2009/09/a-mighty-big-giveaway

    Looking forward to the fair!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi Pennie,
    I don't know how I missed this post! I love it! I was thinking about scouring some of my wool here, instead of sending it off to the mill. You have inspired me to try this....do you suppose sheep's wool would be the same process? Do you have a drum carder? Thanks again,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for this! I have bought similar wool and had no real idea how to clean it. Thanks again, now it can finally come out of its bag!

    Lisa ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pennie!
    I had to come back to this post! I skirted my fleeces today and now I need to scour them! Thanks for the instructions here! I am going to buy a drum carder and process my wool myself......(oh my!) I can save lots of money by not sending it off to the mill.....(but how nice it is when it comes back in a box all clean and beautiful without noils and ready to spin!) I hope you had a great weekend...and thanks again for the instructions!!!!
    Love, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  8. And Oh My! Those locks ARE so fluffy and white! They look beautiful Pennie!

    ReplyDelete