Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Eating Together

During the crazy days of summer and even crazier days of August, when I feel like my kitchen and I no longer understand each other, I find it almost impossible to sit down with the whole family for a meal. Between my many jobs and whatever else pops up along the way, sometimes it seems like we haven't sat together for a meal in an eternity. I can't stand really eating any other way. We all eat at the same time and the same meal (except for Zev who wishes he could eat our food but instead is stuck with mush...still!) I grew up eating as a family, together, at the end of the day and Rick and I have always sat down together as well whenever we can. Now more than ever, with the kiddos here, I feel like I need to make a full dinner (or someone does-not just me!!) and we need to sit down (toys aside, no phones, books, papers, or distractions) and enjoy our food and ourselves. Tonight I felt that need and so I pulled out a special tablecloth made by Rick's BaBa. (She gifted us this tablecloth for our wedding. She passed away recently and I only got to ever meet her once. She was a sweet woman and I wish I had gotten to really know her.) I lit candles. We had a homegrown meal with homemade cornbread even though they didn't really go together. I am somewhat of a cornbread freak...like maybe multiple times a week...yikes! It is a super simple recipe and takes all of 7 minutes to put together and can be made with many variations (although I don't really vary mine). Anyhoo...we had a nice dinner with only the light of the candles. All the windows were open and a cool breeze made it almost chilly, which was pretty much like the icing on the cake for me! It is the reason I live where I do. I love the cool evenings and for me they make the rest of the summer bearable! Wow. This post was going to be about the rest of out trip to Jersey but huh...I guess tonight I felt like talking about eating (surprise surprise!). Maybe tomorrow night...or maybe not...who knows?

5 comments:

  1. I just sent you a long comment I hope it didn't get lost!

    -genny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will just reiterate...I am often thinking about eating together as a family. It is only the 3 of us and my son and I often eat together, but when his daddy joins us, it is wonderful. I find myself often getting up from the table, because amazingly and wonderfully enough, my son is a long sitter, and it usually takes him awhile before he is ready to get up from the table. His daddy is the opposite, but it's also a cultural thing (Persian), I think, where the cook rarely joins those s/he cooks for. So many times we will sit down together for dinner and my hubby will finish fairly quickly before we are done. The one consistent is that we always say grace when we are all together, and each of us take a turn at it, which is so sweeet and wonderful. The best thing about my son's long sitting, is when we go for coffee, I can just sit and people-watch, one of my favorite things to do, just daydream and watch people, and Tristan, just 2 1/2 will watch people too, talk about them, ask about them, etc. it is very cute and a wonderful, stress-less time spent together. Thanks for the candle idea/reminder. I need to try that sometime. It's a good way to start/stop supper, I think!
    -genny

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful table. We find ourselves too, not eating together. We are all in the same house. Sometimes if a kid is outside, we eat and make his/her meal later. I really don't like that though. I am setting an intention to eat together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your table looks beautiful and your descriptions are lovely! Dinners are oftentimes eaten outside at our house during the summer which means playing children grabbing a bite here and there which is nice for its own reasons. I always tend to have candles and flowers on the table and it makes it a sacred space in a sense. Honoring each other and the food that we/our neighbors grow. We have also lit candles and blown them out when we read books together and also to signify bedtime or a time of quiet before bedtime rolls around taken from Waldorf philosophy it sets a tone for the importance of the 'task' at hand...I appreciate the way you have written about your family and how dinner together is a special time. And I must add I too have a cornbread 'addiction' ; ) I think I may grind some corn right after I read this now that you have me thinking about it lol yummm!!!

    ReplyDelete