Monday, July 20, 2009

Shelling Time

Summer peas are in!! Oh the garden is finally starting to give me hope! I spend most of the spring and early summer fretting about which plants look okay and which plants don't. I dread the cutworms invading our tomato plants, the slugs in the lettuce (or everywhere this year!), the aphids near my precious peas, potato beetles, cucumber beetles, squash bugs, cabbage worms (yucky yucky)....you get the point, right?! Well...the aphids are near the peas but not on them!! We harvested the first round of several, ate plenty right off the plants and handfuls from the bowl and managed to put 5 good sized packages into the freezer for the winter. This will be our biggest pea harvest yet (and after 5 pounds of peas it better be!!). I had a yummy salad of fresh veggies not just greens the other day. It is happening up here, slowly but surely. Soon we will be canning tomatoes and freezing beans and edamame! Well...sort of soon. We still have some time for those guys! Here are some of the few pictures I managed to snap in the midst of eating, I mean shelling the peas!!

3 comments:

  1. fresh peas just picked off the vine are the best thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos, I am impressed with your haul!
    And *YOUR BANNER*!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new banner too:-) And harvest time is upon us, how wonderful! I have been dreaming of the first Brandywine lately:-) We're killing the Asiatic brown beetles every time we go out there...the boys are even squishing them this year!

    Isn't it satisfying to know that you're providing for your family for the winter months too? Love that!

    ReplyDelete