Monday, July 27, 2009

Handwork

I have been working on my package for the Season's Round Exchange. I was working on my needle felting during the day while Zevy was asleep and Nahum was just playing. As soon as he heard the noise of my handwork he looked up and came over to see what I was doing. He asked for some roving (which is what he always does) and then started to place it on some felt and began to pretend to do what I was doing (he has never really seen me needle felt-mostly because I had decided to not do it anymore since I did not have enough time for my other projects-I don't know how those 10 new needles ended up in my care though...). I asked him if he wanted a go at it...he shyly looked at me and I knew his answer right away. I got him a pillow and let him choose one piece of roving at a time so he wouldn't get over excited and poke himself (the needles are wicked sharp!). He happily made two *prorjercts* and then got goofy while I tried to snap the photos! I am so excited to be sharing my woolen love with this sweet kiddo of mine. He keeps asking me to teach him to knit but I do believe he is a bit young yet. This fall for his birthday we are getting him one of these (it has been in the back of my mind for over a year now). So here we are, mama and son, working together with WOOL not wood (his true passion).



4 comments:

  1. Kids love to needlefelt! Wonderful pictures. Your project is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (please tell me your name!) Hi! Regarding your question of books I've read (nourishing traditions), I have not, but I will take a look when I return home. Everything I hear more and more makes me want to have my own food or just from somewhere that is close by. It comes down to accountability!! It IS amazing how little people know about what goes in their mouths. I am becoming more aware as I think each time I eat something, "what is this I'm eating?" It's a funny reaction lately, when I'm eating something where I know who grew it, or at least I know it was grown nearby and is definitely NOT a GMO food, I feel more calm about it. When it's from an unknown source, and/or I know it was shipped from far (which amazingly is the case here in Hawaii, despite so much abundance of fruit and land for animals and wild chickens...we were told the chickens wander wild since a hurricane many years ago let them free to roam and multiply and I am told they have no natural predators on the island....HELLO!!..) I feel more out of sorts and a little worried. This is how it should be, I think. Anyway, this is a slow change...hard habits to break, but I will continue on this path because as far as I can tell, it is the ONLY path that makes sense. I really don't want to be an ignorant lamb headed for the slaughter. That's what it feels like with all these big corporations controlling what we buy to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, yes, and I love felting. I have read nothing on it and have only crocheted beautiful yarn and then washed the heck out of it to be a nice piece of felted fabric that I'd someday like to piece together. Any book suggestions for good crochet/knitting patterns that I can felt down to size, piece together, etc...Beginner's felting book, easy to follow patterns etc...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful job you did with your felting! It is a beautiful thing to share this handwork with our children, and I can see your little guy had fun too!

    ReplyDelete